Search This Blog

Thursday 6 April 2017

SHALGAM KA SALAN ( TURNIP DRY CURRY )

Not many of us like eating turnips in our food, especially in the Indian food. I never liked it but now being a mother I want my son to eat all the vegetables without making faces, so I try to incorporate lots of 'eew' kind of vegetables in his diet. In order to attain the taste, I have to eat them. I enjoy eating the turnips. I, not only use them in my Indian cooking but also in stews, bakes and chutneys. 




Serves 3-4
Time; 35-40 minutes



5-8 turnips washed, peeled and diced small
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp ginger minced
2 tbs yoghurt
1 tbs chopped coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp carom seeds ( ajwain)
2 tbs ghee


'
Method


Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the cumin, mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the onions, garlic and the ginger. saute for 3-4 minutes. 




Add the diced turnips along with the dry spices. Mix it well and cover and cook on low heat f01 minutes. They should not become mushy but have a bite to it. 




Now add the yoghurt and chopped coriander and adjust the seasoning. 




Cook for 3-4 minutes so that the yoghurt has mixed through.


Serve with paratha or chapati.


TIP: The reason I add the yoghurt to the dish is to eliminate the odour of the turnips and it also calms down the pungent taste of it. Because of this, kids do not realise they are eating turnips but think they are potatoes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment